Monday, November 24, 2008

Occupational Hazard, Postman with sarcoidosis

Here is the smoking gun sarcoidosis researchers have been waiting for. Another case of someone somehow becoming sick at work.


"Two studies in 1998 from the National Institute for Occupational Safety or NIOSH and Health, one in Tampa and one in an Omaha post office, reported no direct link between health concerns and postal dust. "

I guess they need people that are being funded to research sarcoidosis to go and conduct a study of those filters. That's part of the problem too, not enough funding.

This is important because the more these stories pop up the more attention, translate to more money for research and development of medicine and treatment. 

I'm not comparing this disease to cancer or aids but this is how those diseases got progress in treatment over the years, example less women die of breast cancer than 5 years ago due to better and more efficient screening. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a postal employee for 23 years until I had to retire last year... I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis a year after I was employed... I was a letter sorting machine operator for 5 years and later became a postmaster. The maintenance dept blew the dust in the machine and when we turned the machines on the dust blew back in our faces!!! Now I'm home @ 46 barely able to get around on living on oxygen.. With no compensation from the government for destroying my life!!!!!

Sarcoidosis United

Sarcoidosis United
Sarcoidosis United